Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 15 - April 15, 2010


Home for the homeless
The night I returned to Tokyo on April 14, I used this underpass while looking for my hotel and had the creeps when I saw cardboard boxes lining neatly everywhere. It was late, the place was deserted and it was the first time I felt scared in Japan - after 11 visits to this country.

These boxes are makeshift homes for the homeless. Despite the glittery exterior of this affluent country, there is a significant number of people who live on the streets. And when the weather turns bitterly cold, as it did in the past two days with snow predicted in Tokyo on Saturday, the underpass provides a shelter for these people.

The next day, I returned to snap this photo around 5.30pm when there were more passersby. When I was done, I made a turn in the labrinyth-like place and saw a man sitting in one of the boxes. For a split second, I debated with myself if I should take a shot. Then he gave me a look, one that I would not describe as menacing but which was enough for me to take my leave.


I swear it is possible to suffer from jet lag even though there is no time difference between Singapore and Shanghai.

No comments:

Post a Comment