Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 47 - May 17, 2010


Kuching, 35 years later
In 1975, my father, who worked in a company that sold refrigeration parts such as compressors and pipes, travelled to Sarawak, Sabah, Hong Kong and Thailand to look for business. My mother took a month's leave to accompany him. Every day, they would hit the streets, going from door to door asking shop owners if they needed the goods. It was hard work but he managed to break into these markets as a result.

During this trip to Kuching 35 years later, my parents recounted many anecdotes from the past, including how a stranger drove them to a seafood restaurant a long way from town and bought them dinner. My father also paid a visit to an old friend's shop, which was still standing in the very same place, although it is now run by the son as the elderly man had retired.

What would Kuching - and the world - be like, 35 years from now?


I hadn't even set off for work yet in the morning drizzle and already I was wishing to be back in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment